Discussion: Foundations of Psychology
Perspectives in Psychology
In this discussion, you will post a minimum THREE times. First, in a primary post of between 200 and 300 words, then at least twice on other posts in the class (of at least 75 words each).
Step 1: In this module, you learned about the five main psychological domains and also covered some of the main perspectives in psychology. Think about some of the various perspectives you learned about (including psychoanalysis, behaviorism, cognitive psychology, humanism, and the biological approach), and explain how an alien psychologist from another planet might explain the following human behaviors:
- Why do people cut or shave hair from their bodies (and why does it vary by sex, age, groups, etc.)?
- Why do children in an elementary school walk in a line when going to class?
- Why are people physically aggressive towards each other (and why might males might be observed doing so more than females)?
Explain each of the three behaviors with a DIFFERENT perspective. Give a well-founded explanation of how a psychologist would explain that behavior from that particular perspective.
Next, write a summary paragraph about which psychological perspective most resonates with you, and why. If you were to practice psychology someday, either as a therapist, counselor, teacher, researcher, or in some other capacity, which perspective do you think you might emphasize?
Step 2: Comment, in posts of at least 75-100 words, on TWO other posts in the discussion. These responses should add to the conversation and contribute to a deeper understanding of the psychological perspective.
Licenses and Attributions (Click to expand)
CC licensed content, Original
- Modification, adaptation, and original content. Provided by: Lumen Learning. License: CC BY-NC-SA: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
CC licensed content, Shared previously
- Discussion questions. Provided by: OpenPsyc. Located at: http://openpsyc.blogspot.com/p/success-is-psyc-100.html. License: CC BY-NC-SA: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike