Chapter 28: Post-War Prosperity and Cold War Fears, 1945-1960
1. Truman referred to his program of economic and social reform as the ________.
- New Deal
- Square Deal
- Fair Deal
- Straight Deal
2. Which of the following pieces of Truman’s domestic agenda was rejected by Congress?
- the Taft-Hartley Act
- national healthcare
- the creation of a civil rights commission
- funding for schools
3. How did the GI Bill help veterans return to civilian life? What were its limitations?
4. What was the policy of trying to limit the expansion of Soviet influence abroad?
5. The Truman administration tried to help Europe recover from the devastation of World War II with the ________.
- Economic Development Bank
- Atlantic Free Trade Zone
- Byrnes Budget
- Marshall Plan
6. What was agreed to at the armistice talks between North and South Korea?
7. The name of the first manmade satellite, launched by the Soviet Union in 1957, was ________.
8. The first Levittown was built ________.
- in Bucks County, Pennsylvania
- in Nassau County, New York
- near Newark, New Jersey
- near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
9. How did suburbanization help the economy?
10. The disc jockey who popularized rock and roll was ________.
- Bill Haley
- Elvis Presley
- Alan Freed
- Ed Sullivan
11. What challenges did Hollywood face in the 1950s?
12. The NAACP lawyer who became known as “Mr. Civil Rights” was ________.
- Earl Warren
- Jackie Robinson
- Orval Faubus
- Thurgood Marshall
13. The Arkansas governor who tried to prevent the integration of Little Rock High School was ________.
- Charles Hamilton Houston
- Kenneth Clark
- Clark Clifford
14. What was the significance of Shelley v. Kraemer?