Chapter 30: Political Storms at Home and Abroad, 1968-1980
Critical Thinking Questions
16. What common goals did Native Americans, gay and lesbian citizens, and women share in their quests for equal rights? How did their agendas differ? What were the differences and similarities in the tactics they used to achieve their aims?
17. In what ways were the policies of Richard Nixon different from those of his Democratic predecessors John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson? How were Jimmy Carter’s policies different from those of Nixon?
18. To what degree did foreign policy issues affect politics and the economy in the United States in the late 1960s and 1970s?
19. What events caused voters to lose faith in the political system and the nation’s leaders in the late 1960s and 1970s?
20. In what ways did the goals of the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s manifest themselves in the identity politics of the 1970s?