Chapter 15: The Civil War, 1860–1865
Critical Thinking Questions
11. Could the differences between the North and South have been worked out in late 1860 and 1861? Could war have been avoided? Provide evidence to support your answer.
12. Why did the North prevail in the Civil War? What might have turned the tide of the war against the North?
13. If you were in charge of the Confederate war effort, what strategy or strategies would you have pursued? Conversely, if you had to devise the Union strategy, what would you propose? How does your answer depend on your knowledge of how the war actually played out?
14. What do you believe to be the enduring qualities of the Gettysburg Address? Why has this two-minute speech so endured?
15. What role did women and African Americans play in the war?